Making my 1960s crochet bag-

 To begin with making the bag, I purchased crochet needles and wool as well as a how to guide on crochet. This is because I have never crocheted before and this would be one of my greatest challenges and also a new skill to learn. 

I began by practicing with the crochet to create a simple shape and get used to the technique of the needles and wool. I struggled a lot and in terms of commitment, I found myself feeling less motivated to teach myself. 



This is where I ended up with the bag as I attempted to crochet a strap to begin with. This took entirely too long and it was clear at this point if i wanted to complete the project and everything else I had yet to make, then I needed to have a change of plan. 

So i purchased a knitting/ crochet bowl that you thread with the wool and then hand crank to turn and it creates a neat stitch for you. 

This is where I began to thread the bowl with the wool, I found it difficult at first to thread through and line up but once it began working , I found it easier and a much nicer alternative to hand crocheting. 

This is where the wool began to gather more and I used a different colour to create more of a pattern for the bag. As you can see in the picture, the wool is gathered from the bottom and as you turn the hand crank on the side of the bowl, more wool is threaded. 
Here is where the bag begins to take shape and forms a rectangular bag, I wanted it to be a longer length rather than width to resemble the more pillow shaped bags of the 60s. 

Here is the finished bag once I had knitted a strap as well-



Comments

Popular Posts